We are delighted to announce that MAFC has become a Regional Support Group of Pact, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to serve adopted children of color. Pact provides lifelong education, support, and community for adoptees and their families on matters of adoption and race. As a Pact affiliate, we will receive consultation from the Pact team, and we will be able to connect with groups similar to ours across the country. All of this will make us more effective at reaching and supporting multiracial adoptive families. To learn more about Pact, and access their extensive library of resources, visit www.pactadopt.org adoptees and their families on matters of adoption and race. As a Pact affiliate, we will receive consultation from the Pact team, and we will be able to connect with groups similar to ours across the country. All of this will make us more effective at reaching and supporting multiracial adoptive families. To learn more about Pact, and access their extensive library of resources, visit www.pactadopt.org (link to pact site here).
We are now a registered non-profit in the state of Maine and have a volunteer Board of Directors and several Committees, including Strategic Planning, Marketing and Event Planning. All Board Members also serve on at least one committee. Committee membership is also open to people who are not on the Board. If you are interested in learning more about serving on the Board or a committee, please contact us.
Check our Google calendar of events to see what we are planning. Join our email list (link to email list sign-up here) to keep up to date with MAFC’s work and to be notified when we post new events to our calendar.
Listed below is just a sampling of some of the events we have organized or co-sponsored since we began in the summer of 2010:
Family Events at:
- Deering Oaks Park wading pool
- Smiling Hill Farm
- Pineland Farm (sledding)
- the Narrow Gauge Railroad
- Higgins Beach
- Annual apple-picking event at different orchards
- Annual Family Get-together at Range Pond State Park
- Annual Potluck at a member’s home
- Annual Winter Gymnastics Party at the Maine Gymnastics Academy
- East End School Playground
- East End Playground
- Lyseth School Playground
- Payson Park Playground
- Riverbank Park
- Greenlight Studio
Education/Support – some past and ongoing events include:
- Book Club – A bi-monthly group that reads and discusses books on race, adoption, and trans-racial adoption – Also discusses children’s books on the same topics.
- Facilitated Panel discussion with adult adoptees (April 2015)
- Arts and Crafts events
- African American Hair care night led by Shanhai Heywood (February 2013)
- The History and Evolution of Black Hair in America – A discussion led by Shanhai Heywood (February 2013)
- Facilitated Discussion about Birthparent Relationships
- Movie Viewing and Discussion of Unlocking the Heart of Adoption
- Movie Viewing and Discussion of Chris Rock’s Good Hair
- Facilitated Book Discussion of In Their Own Voices: Adult Adoptees Tell Their Stories
- Movie Viewing and Facilitated Discussion of the film Struggle for Identity
- A Two Day Workshop on Transracial Parenting and Adoption in the Schools, with Astrid Dabbeni of Adoption Mosaic